Fix all issues with HP mini laptop and computer, call iYogi @ 1-877-803-2138

Advertisement

http://www.myhpmini.com/
  Get comprehensive support to enhance the performance of your HP mini laptop and computer. Call now!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Touchpad not working at all

Touchpad not working at all

Get one-on-one consultation with a tech expert now!

Available 365 days, 24/7

Anytime, anywhere

Unlimited support

Professional tech engineers

Call at 1-877-803-2138

Hi guys, first time posting here. I've had my 311 for about 4 months now and I LOVE it. However, just yesterday the touchpad stopped working at all. Doesn't move the cursor, doesn't click, nothing. The system tray icon for the touchpad has a red X crossed through it. I'm using Windows 7, and the drivers for what I think is the HP DM3 (the one with multi-gesture support). Reinstalling the drivers for the original HP Mini 311 touchpad didn't fix anything. External mouse works just fine though. Any ideas on how to fix this? Please don't say it's a hardware issue and I have to turn it in for repairs... Thanks guys

Re: Touchpad not working at all

1. Uninstall any and all ALPS drivers (might require several reboots).
    2. Follow this post to install the Toshiba ALPS driver.
    3. Done.

I sometimes get this if I have check the option to disable the pad when a usb mouse is in. Sometimes it does not re-enable the pad. I disabled this and not had the problem since.

mini 311c (1010SA), ION (fixed LE), 3Gb ram (1066), OC 2.2GHz (unlinked), H15 Bios, Win7 & TrueCrypt
    Alienware M11x, Core i7, OC 160, 4Gb ram, 500mb HDD, Win7-64bit & TryeCrypt
    Asus 701, 2Gb ram

Installed toshiba drivers, the taskbar icon doesn't have the X crossed through it anymore. Touchpad/buttons are still unresponsive though. Any other possible fixes?

Did you reboot at any point? If not, reboot. I think it is likely that you did not fully remove all ALPS drivers. To do this you need to first remove the ones you have installed, then let windows install the original HP ALPS driver, uninstall that, and then you will be able to install the Toshiba driver clean.

Take the battery out and put it back in. That should fix it. I had a similar problem
    Compaq Mini 1010EN
    Intel Atom N270 @ 2,25ghz, 3GB RAM, ION @ 575/1125/1265
    WEI: Proccessor: 3.1, RAM: 5.1, Graphics: 4.9, Gaming graphics 5.4, Hard disk 5.9
    3dmark06 score: 1927
    WD Scorpio Black 250gb, 7200rpm HDD
    Windows 7 Professional

Holy crap, that worked. Thanks whiteblade. Does anyone know why this happens? If this helps, I use two batteries to get through long days at school, and to reduce strain on both batteries, although I don't alternate between them as much as I should.

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy
    Holy crap, that worked. Thanks whiteblade. Does anyone know why this happens? If this helps, I use two batteries to get through long days at school, and to reduce strain on both batteries, although I don't alternate between them as much as I should.
    Your original problem was because of the 'bad' HP drivers. The HP drivers will disable the touchpad because as far as I can tell, it's attached via PS/2. The HP drivers have never had a proper 'disable touchpad when an external mouse is connected' option in them, it's always been broken.

The battery thing, it's actually quite common. I had a Gateway FX laptop that had corrupted video when I got it back from their support. I'd boot up and it was just a scrambled egg on my screen. It would still boot, and boot into windows, but apparently there was same latent 'static energy' in the video card (thats what they said, I'd tend to believe it judging by the problem). So by removing the battery and power for a good minute, that fixed the problem.

Once again though, I would stay away from HP's touchpad drivers, they aren't as good as they should be.

+ Reply to Thread