Fix all issues with HP mini laptop and computer, call iYogi @ 1-877-803-2138

Advertisement

http://www.myhpmini.com/
  Get comprehensive support to enhance the performance of your HP mini laptop and computer. Call now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking & Underclocking the Mini 110

Angry Overclocking & Underclocking the Mini 110

Get one-on-one consultation with a tech expert now!

Available 365 days, 24/7

Anytime, anywhere

Unlimited support

Professional tech engineers

Call at 1-877-803-2138

There doesn't seem to be much information about overclocking or underclocking the 110, so I figured I would do some research and start up a discussion.

In looking at how other netbooks are changing their CPU clock speeds, I found that the "SetFSB" utility (http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/) was quite popular. In particular, it had been used to overclock a HP 2140 (read about it here: http://www.hpminiguide.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2421), which really got me thinking about what could be done with the 110.

Step 1: Clock Generator Identification
    The first task is to identify the clock generator IC. After doing some digging, I found the "HP Mini 110 Disassembled" thread (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1732) by forum user "brotato". As luck would have it, brotato posted some really high resolution pictures in good lighting, and I was able to find the clock generator IC on the motherboard and read the part number!

Here are two of brotato's photos:

... and with a bit of work, here is what I was able to pull out of them:
    [attachment=0:3az6lwng]Mini_110_Clock_Generator.jpg[/attachment:3az6lwng]
    So there we have it. "ICS 9LRS3165BKL" is the part number of the clock generator. Thanks, brotato!

Step 2: Clock Generator Datasheet

A Google search for "ICS Clock Generator" reveals that "Integrated Device Technology", or "IDT", is the manufacturer of the chip. IDT has a website at http://www.idt.com/, which happens to have a pretty good search engine in their support section. While the search doesn't quite find the exact part number, it comes up with two which are very close:
    9LRS3165BKLF (http://www.idt.com/?partID=9LRS3165BKLF), and
    9LRS3165BKLFT (http://www.idt.com/?partID=9LRS3165BKLFT).
    Both are listed as the generic part 9LRS3165.

Aside from what is available at the links above, I was unable to find a datasheet for any of these ICs. If anyone else has any luck, please let me know!

Step 3: Software Support

At present, the latest version of SetFSB (Version 2.2.133.97, 10/29/2009) does not support this clock generator. I have tried selecting a few of the similarly named ICS clock generators in SetFSB, but they are not similar enough to work.

I plan to email the SetFSB author to see what it would take to support this IC. If I hear anything back, I'll post it here.

Otherwise, I have not found any references to any other software that can work with this IC...

... So that's where I'm at! If you have any more information, suggestions for other software, or just want to check in to let people know you are interested, feel free to join in on the discussion.
    Attached Images

Re: Overclocking & Underclocking the Mini 110

Unfortunately its been tried before, and no one got anywhere. The maker of SetFSB asked IDT for the datasheet for the chip and they basically said no, so thats as far as he got in attempting to support that chip.

It would certainly be lovely to be able to overclock, if only by a tiny bit, just to get smoother video playback, though with Flash 10.1 coming out early next year and supporting the Broadcom HD thing it wont be too long till thats unnecessary.

Im not sure that well get anywhere with regards overclocking unless IDT are willing to hand over a datasheet, or HP create a tool of their own

Super Moderator

Maybe if we put pressure on IDT maybe we could get it out of them for the author of SetFSB.
    HP Mini 110-1025DX | 1GB RAM | 160GB 5400RPM |
    Windows XP Home SP3

I heard back from the SetFSB developer, but they did not have the datasheet.

I have now sent a support request to IDT. We'll see what they say...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WD-40
    I heard back from the SetFSB developer, but they did not have the datasheet.

I have now sent a support request to IDT. We'll see what they say...
    PM me the e-mail address or the link so that I could send them a message too. Looks to me like the only way this is going to happen is if we get that data sheet.
    Windows XP Home SP3

Sure thing, but let's give them a few business days first to see what happens with my information request. Maybe I will get someone who is more helpful than those in the past, and I don't want to annoy them right off the bat.

Any news on this guys?

And would the overclocking breakthrough on the 311 help at all?

I'm hoping and praying for a 'Yes!!'

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by newday2a
    Any news on this guys?
    I haven't been on in a while, but yes this would be a great help if there was any new information on this subject.
    Windows XP Home SP3

Sorry guys, nothing new to report.

I put in two information requests via IDT's "Technical Support" form under the Clock Generators section (http://www.idt.com/?app=technicalSupport), and both times received a confirmation email and a ticket number. However, even after more than a month now, I have not received a reply to either request. I forwarded my message to webmaster@idt.com in case there was an error with the web form, but did not receive a reply from that either.

So I suppose the good news is that the request hasn't been "denied"... which I believe was the case with earlier requests. However, the bad news is that we do not appear to have a reliable way to contact IDT for technical support. I have scoured the IDT website, but I cannot find any other means of contact.

If anyone else can find a way to get ahold of IDT, please give it a shot or send the info to me and I will investigate.

ouch...well i got my hands on the data sheet and emailed him....sounds like we are SOL

Hmm bad news..., ICS9LRS3165B does not have the function that changes FSB with SetFSB.
    Unfortunately, I cannot support it.

abo

(creator of setfsb ^^^)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast