Fix all issues with HP mini laptop and computer, call iYogi @ 1-877-803-2138

Advertisement

http://www.myhpmini.com/
  Get comprehensive support to enhance the performance of your HP mini laptop and computer. Call now!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Embedding a Logitech Nano Receiver

Embedding a Logitech Nano Receiver

Get one-on-one consultation with a tech expert now!

Available 365 days, 24/7

Anytime, anywhere

Unlimited support

Professional tech engineers

Call at 1-877-803-2138

So I have my new Mini Mi on its way, and should be here by the weekend. I plan to immediately load Windows 7, which I have been using on my desktop for months (and love). I got the 2GB version w/ 32gb ssd and bluetooth. My intentions are to use the bluetooth to wirelessly tether it to my blackberry (i tether it a lot with the USB cord). I am not sure exactly how I want to go about putting in the USB nano receiver though. Here is a list of a few things I can not decide on myself, so maybe you guys can help me out.

Logitech V450 Nano Notebook Mouse
    It comes with the Nano Receiver (which I wish was bluetooth ) and I don't really want to waste 1/2 of my USB ports for something that will be in all the time. I did some googling, and found this guy that actually stuck his receiver inside the case of the laptop. It seems he just spliced one of the usb ports and created a new connection (not sure if thats possible?) but HERE is a picture. I was considering doing something like this, but would really like to keep my warranty. Another option I was thinking of four this is maybe disecting the nano receiver a bit (removing the metal shield around the innards of the usb connector itslef, because its really loose already) and try to get it to work in the HP Mini Mobile Drive slot, which may also take a tiny bit of modifications to the case. What are your thoughts?

Cache / Pagefile disk
    So I am torn between two options for creating a pagefile and cache disk. I can either buy a (whatever)GB SDHC card and use the media card slot and use that, or, get a (whatever)GB HP Mini Mobile Drive (via newegg, not hp) and use that. I guess it kinda depends on if I use the mobile drive slot for my nano receiver, but should I aim for using one over the other?

Thanks to anyone that can give me a hand with these questions!

Re: Embedding a Logitech Nano Receiver

Depending upon the apps you intend to run, with 2 GB of RAM you might be able to disable the page file altogether. Plus there's a tweak to use your RAM for the system cache.
    Republic...I like the sound of the word.

Hmm, I guess now that you mention that, I don't really need a separate disk for the pagefile since its really only going to be Firefox / Notepad++

I have been zipping along for a few days now with both browser caches (IE and Opera) moved into a ramdisk.
    Republic...I like the sound of the word.

I think u should try dissecting the mini a little bit and remove the plastic from the mini drive slot usb, rather than destroying your usb receiver... just a thought, i'm pretty sure it'll fit... if it doesn't then take off the SSD metal cover, get some double-sided tape for the SSD... should open up a lot of space to use the mini drive usb slot.

Quote Originally Posted by idealz
    I think u should try dissecting the mini a little bit and remove the plastic from the mini drive slot usb, rather than destroying your usb receiver...
    How far can I go without voiding the warranty? I haven't gotten mine yet to see where they have their stickers and such.

Thanks!

There's no stickers that void your warranty as you open up your mini near the hard drive. You just have to remove the keyboard (have to unscrew 2 screws) and unscrew the hard drive cover. It will open up a lot of space. If you ever have to use your warranty and return your mini, just put it back all together. If you look in the hardware forum (I think? or maybe hacks/mods forum) there's a guide on how to replace the hard drive. Just follow those steps. HP will never know that you opened the mini as long as you put everything back. I sent my mini back after i opened my mini up, and they fixed my problem, no questions asked.

Hello there.

I am "that guy" that did the Nano Receiver MOD you are talking about... yes, that's my picture. Small world huh?

The splice I did in that picture renders THAT USB port unusable externally. Since the Dell XPS M1710 has 6x USB ports, this wasn't a concern for me.

I just got a new Dell Precision M6500, and aimed to do the same thing. You can read more about how I did it on this system here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell...pcie-slot.html.

I know this post is old, so if you haven't done it yet, let me know if you need more info.

+ Reply to Thread