For a few months, I have been watching the Mac forum carefully. I promised myself that, after sound was working, I would go to Mac. Well, that time came, and so I began preparing myself for the installation. I was frightened that I would ruin my Mini (something I REALLY couldn't do). So I downloaded the iDeneb image, and forum user bobbypotluck started saying he was writing a complete guide (easier to understand), so I figured I would wait for his guide to install OSX on my mini. I waited, and his guide was made. I followed it step-by-step, and, after a few hours, I had a fully functional Macbook Mini. This post is to describe to anyone who doesn't wan't to break their mini, but want's OSX, why they should go ahead and do it.
1. It is Mac OSX, so it is beautiful. It really looks good on the HP mini. Colors pop out, Mac just looks good, and it all blends. The black mini, and the white, light colors of OSX are a perfect blend.
2. Battery life. Battery life is significantly better under OSX than Windows XP (and slightly better than Windows 7). Also, when in sleep, the battery is ridiculously long. I left it in sleep for a night and half a day, and lost only about 20% of the battery.
3. Stability. Before I installed OSX, this was my biggest qualm; stability wouldn't be great. I have been using this for about half a week, and have had no (I repeat NO) problems with kernel panics, it freezing up, anything. OSX on the Mini is very stable (with normal A.K.A web browsing, some gaming, music-listening, Netbook stuff. I haven't tried anything crazy/ for Mac geniuses)
4. Installing really is pretty easy. The iDeneb installer works well, and it is GUI (A.K.A not text). The seemingly scary 'loop fix' is fairly simple.
5. Support. Probably, if you have a problem with anything, by now somebody has most likely had it, and there is a fix. And, on the off chance that you encounter a strange problem, someone will help.
6. Everything works. On my Mini, with OSX installed, everything that I know of works, and I use my machine to its fullest extent.
7. Guides. There are a couple of guides on here, but I do think that bobbypotluck has written the best so far. His guide is the most detailed (even though it is still being tweaked some) and I can testify that it works. I followed it to a T, and my mini is working perfectly. So here is the link...http://myhpmini.com/forum/tentative-...ons-t1187.html
8. Speed. OSX is wayyy faster than XP, and fairly faster than Windows 7 (it blows Vista out of the water).
So, overall, I highly recommend going to OSX, no matter what OS you are using. I have used XP, Vista, Windows 7, MIE, Ubuntu (Jaunty, Intrepid, Netbook Remix, you name it), Linux Mint, PCLinux OS, Puppy Linux. Pretty much, you name it, I have used it. And I like Mac OSX the most. 8-)
Also, I am not an Apple-Fanboy. I promise. In fact, the last MacBook I owned went back after about 2 weeks of use. I then bought a Windows XP machine, which was replaced by this. But I do give credit where credit is due, and OSX has made HUGE improvements. And I like it.